Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Convince Yourself YOU CAN DO IT!



 Motivation: the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.

A year ago, I was sitting around waiting for some magic invention to come out. A pill or a diet that completely revolutionized working out. I hated cardio and was lucky if I could work out with 3 lb. weights. Yes, you read that correctly. I could barely keep up with a workout holding 3 lbs. in each hand. As I think back, I wonder who that girl was. Why was I also feeling so tired, sluggish, and lazy? I had nothing really holding me back from being active and bettering my health... I was living back at home, no children, not engaged or married. I didn't get it. What was I lacking that other people seemed to find so easily?

The answer is motivation.

I had absolutely none. Sure, I wanted to be fit. I wanted to be healthy and feel good about myself. But, what steps was I taking to achieve that goal? I was constantly snacking on "healthy" foods and thought I was doing well. Little did I realize, it is possible to overeat on healthy foods, too! When I didn't see any improvements, I began to do some research...

First Google search: "How to get motivated to work out."
Second search: "Easy workout programs that provide results."

I'm sorry... WHAT?! No one can tell you to be motivated. And, you're not going to get any type of results without putting forth some serious effort. You have to have a WHY in place. A desire to do the necessary work to get where you want to be. If you want to be a Doctor, you have to fully commit and dedicate yourself to school for 8+ years, and work very hard to get there. The same goes for your health and proper nutrition. You have to be willing to sacrifice some things now, for the end result.

Fast forward a year later... I have successfully completed one round of Jillian Michaels' 90-Day Body Revolution, one round of Shaun T's Focus T25, five weeks of Chalene Johnson's ChaLEAN Extreme (the holidays hit and I fell off track), and am now back in the game and 110% committed to Tony Horton's P90X3!

It isn't about being perfect 100% of the time. You are going to have your struggles. There will be days you do not feel like working out, or you want that piece of pizza. One slip won't derail all of your hard work. BUT, try to remember that constant little acts of eating unhealthy and skipping your workouts add up... and that can have a negative effect on your overall results. Some advice...

1. Aim to follow your workouts during your scheduled days. If you happen to miss a day, pick up the next day, where you left off. Do not skip more than two consecutive days. Your muscles will begin to break down after that, and it will make getting back on track a lot harder.

2. Eat a clean diet 90% of the time. Save the other 10% towards one "happy" meal a week. I refuse to use the word "cheat" meal if you are dedicated to eating clean the rest of the week.

3. Try to connect with other people who are working out, too. It helps to have people who you can relate to in this new journey towards a healthier lifestyle.

4. DO NOT... I repeat... DO NOT use the scale as your only source of measuring how far you've come in your healthy eating and fitness routine. Focusing on a number makes people crazy. Instead, pick one day a week (I prefer Saturday) to weigh yourself. Do this in the morning, after you've used the restroom, and without clothes. This is the most accurate time to weigh yourself.

5. Use a tape measure to take your before, during, and after measurements. Here is a quick video of how to capture those measurements correctly.


6. Take before, during, and after photos on your desired STAT day, too. To properly take these, try to wear clothes that do not completely cover you up. Shorts and a sports bra for women, and shorts and a cut off for men. Take a full-body front, back, and side photo each week. Actually seeing your results and comparing it with your measurements from weeks prior is a much better way to measure progress.

7. Do not ever give up. When you start to think this new healthy lifestyle is not for you, remember that it is a great long-term benefit for you. It can help add years to your life, it can reverse the progression of some medical issues, and it can help you become more active and happy.

Working out is a natural anti-depressant, and the body's most underused source of stress relief. Never underestimate the good you are doing by dedicated 30-60 minutes, 5-6 days a week to bettering yourself.

If you have any questions regarding other motivational tips or fitness programs, please email me at GetFitElle@beachbodycoach.com.




1 comment:

  1. Great tips! The most important one and one that I often forget is, never give up! Keep going. If you skip a workout or eat unhealthy it is okay every once in a while, but yes all those times do add up and can lead to unhealthy results! Don't forget to link up on my site for Fitness Friday. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete